Monday, September 11, 2006

Insomnia: A Small Price to Pay

Just needed to let everyone know that Anne Frasier is responsible for the dark circles under my eyes, the stoop in my shoulders. I haven't slept terribly well since I finished her newest novel PALE IMMORTAL. The images she conjured and the questions she left unanswered are yet rattling around in my head. I'm not sure I can wait another year for the sequel. (By the way, Anne, you'll want to ignore the title my husband suggested for the second installment: PALER, IMMORTALER.)

I would love to go back and reread the thing in a calmer state, but at the rate my eyes were tearing through the story, I unfortunately burned up the last half of the thing trying to get through the climax. Guess that means I'll have to buy some more copies. Hehe. The story is compelling, exciting, at times humorous, horrifying, and fascinating. A grand read.

I second Christa's pronouncement that atmosphere is Frasier's forte. I'm steering clear of Burlington, Iowa now that I know she used her hometown as the basis for Tuonela. No use getting myself mixed up in that mess, right?

Boys and girls, as the weather grows cooler and the days shorten toward Halloween, you'd be doing yourself a favor to brew a mug of tea, curl up under a wooly blanket, and crack a new copy of PALE IMMORTAL. But first, make sure you've stocked up on your sleep before you plunge into the darkness. It lingers long after the last page is turned.

4 comments:

LZ Blogger said...

Thanks for the suggestion! ~ jb///

anne frasier said...

big hug, mary louisa! thank you so much for all those nice words!! and i want to know how your husband knew the sequel title!!!!! i'm shocked! does he have the combination to the title vault at penguin? do they have a mole?

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Mary Louisa, I totally agree. PI gives you chills, and shivers, and creepy feelings, and more. *laughs* I hate being up late alone after I read an Anne Frasier novel.

Mary Louisa said...

jb--I checked out your very nifty blog. I'll be back!

Anne, my husband is telepathic, that's all. BTW, I've already started checking the bestseller lists, but I know they won't show your pub date until later this week. Are you on pins and needles?

Kelly, I'm STILL having visions from PI. And still speculating about things. It's a great read!