Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Skinflintstones, Day 3

Running Total: $8

Menu:
  • breakfast: cereal, bananas, milk/soymilk
  • lunches: sandwiches, leftover "Mexican lasagna," leftover vegetables, scrambled cheese eggs, English muffin, milk, applesauce, apple, snack pack pudding (lunch items look ridiculous all together, but I send D to work with a packed lunch that is very different from ours at home)
  • snacks: blueberries, graham cracker squares, milk
  • dinner: coconut milk curry w/mushrooms, peas, strips of MSF Chik Patties, and golden raisins over brown rice; corn on the cob; fish sticks; rolls; milk--always the milk for the kiddos
  • dessert: honey roasted peanuts, red wine

  • I took it easy on the decaf today--only three cups.

    Thoughts:
    I'm cooking and feeding us like we are not skimping, primarily because I have a well-stocked house and I'd already planned the menus before I got this hair-brained idea. I suppose once we start running low on something I will begin to get creative. I also suppose I'd better make some kind of rule for myself like, "I will only buy groceries that are necessary for our continued good health, food that I can't make at home." (And thanks for the cereal bar idea, Alphabeter!)

    No comments: