Saturday, May 24, 2008

Elimination Diet, Day 1

And it begins.

Breakfast:
Rice waffles (also contain tapioca and arrowroot flours) and pure maple syrup
Fresh Bartlet pears, peeled
Rice milk for the kids

Snack:
Celery sticks, more waffles

After a bite of a Teff Muffin, N balked. He said he liked the Maple Muffins (what I call the FAILSAFE muffins) better. I'll make those again, but first I'm going to try a Pear Muffin recipe.

Lunch:
Shredded roast chicken (yes, veggie friends, I roasted a free-range, hormone-free chicken last night. My first and possibly not last.) with sauteed garlic and celery in a rice wrap. Celery sticks.

Snack:
Home-made soda (simple syrup with a dash of citric acid, mixed with soda water to taste--I got a high five from the husband for that one), home-made oatmeal cookies (the Quaker Oats recipe with my home-made gluten-free flour mix to replace the wheat flour and Ghee to replace the shortening; no vanilla or nuts added).

Dinner:
Eggs fried in rice bran oil (that and ghee are my only oils)
Red cabbage "slaw" with some oil and a dash of sugar
Black beans cooked with sauteed celery and garlic
Baked potato wedges

Dessert:
More oatmeal cookies

We aren't going to starve for the elimination period, but we will be low on a few nutrients. It's nothing that will hurt us, though. When we have been on the diet at least two weeks with five consecutive symptom-free days, I will start the first challenge: dairy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rice Bran Oil is a great choice-it is hypoallergenic and has more antioxidants than olive oil. Good luck on the rest.

Mary Louisa said...

Thanks, anon. I had heard that it was excellent. The brand I am using (Now) says they use no anti-oxidants to preserve it. That's one of the things we're trying to eliminate. I have to keep it in the fridge.

Anonymous said...

I think you missed the point on rice bran oil-the antioxidants are natural and not added. There are no perservatives needed as it is loaded with vitamin E. I would try California Rice Oil because it is not genetically modified. Rice oil lasts around 18 months so you really don't need to put it in the fridge although it doesn't hurt it.

Mary Louisa said...

Ah, I see now. Thanks for the info!