Sunday, June 06, 2004

Down and Up and Ahead and Behind

I feel like I've been driving a bumper car all day today. My 10.5mo took his first giant steps this afternoon. He's been taking one or two here and there for a month now, but all of a sudden, today, he forgot he wasn't holding my fingers and walked six steps. You see, he has a new hat that he loves. It was on his head, and he was so intent on looking up at the brim that he just took off across the floor. I cheered and cheered once he stopped (I had been holding my breath until then). And a few moments later, he was clutching the hat, waving it in the air, and took eight unassisted steps. And promptly ate nursery carpet, leaving a bright red burn on his cheek. Much wailing and real tears. And that was the end of walking unassisted for today. I hope he will forget his spill by tomorrow and try it all over again.


The Magical Walking Hat

Before that wonderful moment in the nursery, I had fallen into a real funk. A student referred to an unnamed professor's (or professors') assignments as "asinine." So naturally, being waaaay too sensitive for my own good, I assume it's ME he's refering to. That MY assignments are asinine. And I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach. I know, logically, that even if he WERE talking about me, WHAT DOES HE KNOW? I'm the professor, and I create relevant, meaningful assigments designed to promote/aid learning on multiple levels. Jargon jargon jargon but it's true. Yes, so he's just full of it. But does that realization help me feel better? No. Well, okay, a little. I've been trying to "lean into the sharp points" all day, to notice the feelings that I have from this episode (stomach ache, tight throat, headache). I've gained some insight and some space from doing that. But I don't have the focus to stay aware of the feelings at every moment all day long (guess I need to practice more), so I keep getting socked or shocked like new when I'm caught looking the other way. After N went to bed, we watched It Happened One Night while eating a take away pizza, which cheered me up considerably.

So, this sensitivity is one reason I'm considering leaving the profession. After fifteen years of teaching college students, I have grown weary of trying to keep a game face and protect my fragile ego. Since the boy has come, I'm feeling even more open and raw, and I just want to be kind to myself. I want others to be kind to me too. And they are, by and large. It's just that one doofus can ruin the whole experience for me. Therapy fodder, absolutely.

No comments: