Thursday, May 26, 2005

This Week's Box o' Health

The box from the organic farm contains:
lots of rhubarb
huge bag of spinach (half of which we ate, steamed, last night)
huger bag of Chinese greens
large bunch of green onions
a spring garlic bulb/stalk
French breakfast radishes (the long kind)
NO MESCLUN! grrrrrrrr

I chopped up the rhubarb today and am at the moment waiting while my rhubarb cobbler bakes away in the oven. The recipe is a simple one for a 9x13 pan (half it for a 9 or 8" square pan).
Four cups rhubarb, sliced thin
2 cups sugar
2 cups Bisquick
2 cups milk
2 sticks butter
ground cinnamon (opt.)
Preheat to 375. Chop your rhubarb and add the sugar to it to macerate for 15 minutes before assembling the cobbler. Melt the butter in the pan in the oven while it preheats (DON'T let it burn). When the butter is melted, add the Bisquick and milk, stir to mix. Then spoon the rhubarb/sugar mixture over the top (it'll sink). Sprinkle the top with ground cinnamon if you want. Bake for around 45 minutes, or until it looks brown and done. You can substitute any berries for the rhubarb (or divide it half and half with strawberries, for ex.).

Don't rightly know what to do with all the greens this week, as I blew my wad last week with various stir fries and steamings. I think D is already sick of greens and it's only one week into the farm season! I guess I'll look for some creative noodle or rice dishes with Chinese greens worked in. Maybe a spinach salad with the remaining 1/2 bag of that.

So, my diet is going very well, thanks to the healthy meals I'm making to use our produce. Still not exercising as I'd like, but that will come as the rain diminishes and the weather warms. Haven't weighed myself lately; I'll try to remember tomorrow morning.

No comments: